Tuesday 20 December 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

I think the fact that I skipped last week's Top Ten Tuesday (books I'd buy others) and have a whole giant list for this week (books I want for myself) says quite a lot about my lust for presents and apparent disregard for other people! (But but but I have basically just bought books as presents for people this year! I just didn't exactly want to blurt out what they were on the internet because, whoops, surprise over!) Anywho, I don't at all mind telling you the books I want for Christmas, and just one thing to explain before I begin- I mainly ask for biiiig, expensive, hardback style books for Christmas, because I can't afford to buy them for myself, and so there's not all that much general fiction here. But there's still a whole load of great books (hopefully!). Anyway, here are the:

Top Ten Books I Hope Santa Brings


1. The BUST DIY Guide To Life- I have been so so excited about this book ever since I learned of its existence, and I'm pretty sure that my Christmas day will basically involve reading it. All day. And ignoring all other things. It's going to be awesome (if I get it)!

2. Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg: The Letters- I love books of letters. I love the Beat Generation. This book is my dream, basically.

3. Vegan Pie in the Sky by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero- I'm not a vegan, but these guys write the best cookbooks and nothing I've made from one of them has ever failed. Hence, this recipe book. Expect many pie posts in the new year!

4. Pretty much any Penguin Clothbound book- I think I've asked for Wuthering Heights, but genuinely these books are all so beautiful that I want them all! For this lust, I blame Allie over at A Literary Odyssey, for alerting me to their existence. But I'll forgive her once I have some in my life!

5. Moomins Volume 2 by Tove Jansson- Love moomins. Got the first one for my birthday. Will squeal  if I get this one for Christmas (probably).

6. This is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl by Paul Brannigan- I may already have two Dave Grohl biographies, but can I get enough of this man? Definitely not. Also, this is only out in hardback at the moment, hence the not having it in my hands already!

7. Here Comes Trouble by Michael Moore- Another one of those (auto)biography type things that I know they release at Christmas so people buy them for presents, but this somehow doesn't stop me wanting them...

8. Thinner by Richard Bachman- Almost the next book I need for my whole Stephen King experience thing. Pretty much a practical book choice there, I have to say!

9. The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster- This is basically a general Auster pick for Christmas, but I'm thinking that Brenna over at Literary Musings likes it, so maybe that's where that choice came from... who really knows anymore?

10. MetaMaus by Art Spiegelman- I'm not even sure exactly what this book entails, but I'm assuming it's kind of 'The Making of Maus' in cartoon form and that means that it must be awesome. Since I'm basically obsessed with Maus, I seriously need this book. Desperately.

So these are some books I hope will be under my tree on Sunday! How about you? What do you want Santa to bring you?

15 comments:

  1. Allie got me started on the Penguin clothbounds, too! And - I also skipped last week TTT. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, the Kerouac and Ginsberg letters sound amazing! And I've been eyeing MetaMaus too. I hope you find many of these under your tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no, don't think of it that way....The truth is that we hesitate to push books off on others but we know that we hope others will be-gift us with books, books, and more books...Right?

    Here's my Top Ten Books I Hope Santa Brings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Deb's take on the topic. It sounds so much more noble that way

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your selections. Hope Santa is looking at your list.
    http://its-raining-books.blogspot.com/2011/12/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-want-for_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Penguin clothbounds are just beautiful, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg: The Letters sounds awesome! I'm going to have to put that on my wishlist as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura,
    I agree with you about the chefs over at PostPunk Kitchen: Although I'm not a vegan either, I love their recipes and would enjoy their cookbook, I'm sure.
    Hadn't thought of Auster lately, but now I will!
    Hope your season is bright with books this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally bought the Penguin clothbound of Wuthering Heights for myself, thinking it would inspire me to read the book, but it still hasn't happened. But, it looks lovely on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice list and thanks for the link love! Brooklyn Follies is awesome. I also hope you get a Penguin clothbound or two. They are beautiful books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought the Penguin clothbound of Wuthering Heights even though I had another copy. I thought it would inspire me to read it, but it hasn't happened yet. It does look lovely on the shelves though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Vegan pie book looks yum!
    I love the Penguin clothbounds too. One day I will trade out my boring paperbacks for prettier editions

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Deb- That's definitely true! Probably... I'll go with it anyway because it makes me sound less grabby!

    @IngridLola- SO beautiful- I want them all!

    @confessionsofacommonreader- I know right! It's been on my amazon wishlist for soooo long, so I really hope I get it!

    @Laurie- I don't even really like pie that much, and yet I still want that book because I love them so much!

    @LBC- READ IT! It's so good :)

    @Brenna- You're welcome for the love :) PENGUIN CLOTHBOUNDS ARE SO HOT!

    @Shann- Dude, I so only have crappy paperbacks, and while it doesn't really bother me that much, I really super love the Penguin clothbounds, and there are quite a few that are some of my favourite books (Jane Eyre, Little Women, Pride and Prejudice) so I think I deserve them in a prettier edition!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the clothbound books but don't have any of my own either. But I covet them.

    ReplyDelete