Monday 2 April 2012

Things I Think About The Woman In White

If I'm honest, I don't have a lot of thoughts ("Tell us something we don't know!" I hear you cry, and to that I say, DON'T MAKE OBVIOUS JOKES) about The Woman in White or Wilkie Collins. I used to have thoughts about The Woman in White, but they mostly revolved around wondering whether it, or The Woman in Black was the scary play that Frances mentioned sometimes, and which I mentioned more because I'd forgotten again whether that scary woman wore white or black. But one time I did figure it out once and for all (The Woman in Black is the scary one. The Woman in White is... something else, anyway) I promptly forgot about both things.

BUT THEN! Alice announced her Readalong of The Woman in White, and after quickly checking that it was the one sans ghosts, and figuring out there was a Penguin Clothbound edition of it, I signed up and all was good with the world. Also I signed up because, hello! Did I mention that Alice was hosting this readalong, and quite frankly, that is not a thing to be missed! (In a non-related thing, I'm sure you can still join up to readalong with us, just click on the Woman in White readalong tab thingy on my sidebar thing). So. I have a beautiful copy of the book, and I'm going to read it throughout April, I just know nothing about it. Which is sometimes the best way to go with books and is almost definitely the best way to go with mystery books (which I believe this is..?) so yeah. I'm sure it'll be good, and even if it isn't we can make fun of it and RUIN THE LIFE of the one person who thinks it's beautiful and amazing (not that that has ever happened. Much.)

There are two things I know about Wilkie Collins though. One is that I have also sort of committed myself to reading Armadale this year for the back to the classics challenge, so if The Woman in White sucks then I'm screwed, and the other is, well, just look at him:
See anything ENORMOUS that you want to talk about?! I realise that I'm in no way original in talking about his forehead since Alice has already mentioned it, but BLOODY HELL! That's ridiculous. It's like bigger than the rest of his face! I can but sincerely hope that he didn't have children, because that's some cruel genes to pass on. 

So. I've insulted his face and complained about potentially not liking his books. Let's get this party started!

12 comments:

  1. Aww! Look at you bein' all nice!

    Also: "I'm sure it'll be good, and even if it isn't we can make fun of it and RUIN THE LIFE of the one person who thinks it's beautiful and amazing"

    WE ARE SORRY BUT IT WAS FUN TO MAKE FUN OF IT

    His forehead looks particularly bulbous in that picture. I don't THINK he had kids; he lived with some lady and her children, I think...*checks wikipedia* Oh. He had two daughters. While living separately with two different ladies. CLASSY, COLLINS. CLASSY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try , I try :). I STILL CAN'T JOKE ABOUT NORWEGIAN WOOD THOUGH! (Actually, I guess I did make fun of it a bit. But I'm allowed to because it is my love!)

      I... He had TWO girlfriends?! I guess it wasn't just his FOREHEAD that was big, amiright?! But still, really no!

      Delete
  2. You know what they say about men with big foreheads...

    ...big brains!

    Someone had to say it. I am so excited about this readalong! I also keep thinking of The Woman in Black, but not the play -- the Daniel Radcliffe horror movie (which maybe is based off the play... Not sure). Anyway, I keep imagining that this book will be just like the commercials for that movie, with an empty rocking chair moving and faces appearing at windows.

    Okay, I've freaked myself out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT MOVIE WAS SO SCARY OMG

      Delete
    2. Excellent...

      I only think of The Woman in Black as a play because my friend told me about going to see it and being immensely scared. But that movie does look BLOODY SCARY too. Like, I can't deal with the advert so I wouldn't be able to go and see it!

      Delete
    3. I screamed in the theater. And lo, it was embarrassing.

      Delete
  3. I love how none of us have any idea what this book is about. I feel good about this read-along. I think it might top all other read-alongs that were or will ever be with its sheer fantasticatude. Although Norwegian Wood will be a hard act to follow. ;)

    And also...your copy is sooo pretty. *steals your copy* *replaces it with my paperback* *hopes you won't notice*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *totally notices* *steals pretty book back* *swats at you a little*.

      I do have a good feeling about this readalong! The Help readalong was fairly awesome too, but I'm fairly sure there were about 4 of us reading it, and the more people=the more funnies! So yes. It shall be awesomes! I think it might top all of the things that ever were, ever are, or ever will be. So everyone had better not let me down!

      Delete
  4. This book I have had forever. I started reading it in the fall and liked what little I read of it but life got in the way. I think I should just suck it up and finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for confirming my impression that he had an abnormally large forehead! I-i-i just take one look at him and immediately think of those English medieval paintings with serene mother and child. Except the child's forehead makes up 80% of the head ratio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also no absolutely nothing going into this. *high-five*

    And come on, his forehead isn't THAT bad, is it? I bet he was quite a fox in his day... hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, and that was supposed to be "know", not "no". Brain isn't working yet this morning.

    ReplyDelete